This position is on a matrix system. Meaning, as you start to obtain licenses and complete courses provided by the Utility your pay can/will increase. Also, with years completed pay is increased.
Nature of the Work:
To operate, monitor, maintain, and trouble-shoot the wastewater treatment facility and its processes.
Work involves responsibility for the technical aspects of plant operations, compliance with state and federal operating regulations, and underground sewer system. Work is performed with considerable independence under the direction of the Superintendent or Asst. superintendent, subject to review through reports and results achieved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all aspects of sampling, monitoring and testing required to maintain compliance with Federal State and Local Regulations governing the wastewater treatment process, storm water, and sludge management.
- Assist with the installation and inspection of new sewer lines and services.
- Perform the installation, maintenance and repair of the physical plant and pump stations and all of their components.
- During the Superintendent and Asst. Superintendent Absence, act as the Department's representative to the public.
- Assist in the performance of regular and unscheduled maintenance and repairs on all plant equipment and machinery.
- On call to respond to emergencies and breakdowns at the plant and pump stations.
- Conduct the necessary weekend checks of the treatment plant on a rotating basis.
- Perform all work in conformance to Occupational Safety and Health Act Regulations.
- Maintain open communications with the Superintendent Regarding the treatment process and pump stations operation and malfunctions, as well as make recommendations for repairs and improvements to these systems.
- Be able to perform and document various tests required by State and Federal agencies for the operation of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Perform daily checks of the wastewater treatment process and periodic checks of pump stations.
- Have a working knowledge of the operation, methods and procedures of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Have a working knowledge of the machinery used for wastewater treatment and pumping stations.
Have thorough knowledge of mechanical equipment and the ability to diagnose and correct equipment malfunction.
- Have a working knowledge of basic machinery preventive maintenance and repair.
- Have a basic knowledge of State and Federal rules governing wastewater discharges and worker's safety.
- Have the ability to work with independence and to make routine decisions on the operation of the plant processes and equipment during the Superintendent absence.
Training and Experience Required:
Hold a High School diploma and have adequate experience in operating a wastewater treatment facility.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- After 18 months of employment take certification test Operator's Class I License.
- Maintain an Indiana Class B CDL Driver's license.
- Have the ability to descend and climb a maximum of 30 rungs to access system pump stations.
- Have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Have adequate respiratory function to utilize a Self-Contained Breathing Apparat us.
- Have the ability to detect and differentiate colors.
Contact : You may download the application here and drop off at:
North Vernon Utilities 0ffice
Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm
143 E. Walnut Street
North Vernon, Indiana 47265
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled