Office of the Clerk-Treasurer
Clerk-Treasurer Shawn Gerkin
The Clerk Treasurer's office is the head of the department of finance for the City of North Vernon, as well as secretary and record keeper of the North Vernon Common Council and city records.
This office provides:
- City Council with budgets & revenue estimates
- makes and manages the city's investments
- negotiates the sale of bonds
- inspects & pays all warrants presented
- submits financial reports annually to the State Board of Accounts
- prescribes the manner in which creditors are to be paid
- takes care of all employee payroll and withholdings
- As secretary for the Common Council and Board of Public Works & Safety, the office is also responsible for creating agendas and minutes for meetings
- The clerk's office keeps all meeting minutes, ordinances, and resolutions for the city
- The clerk treasurer also keeps the city seal, serves as a notary, and has the power to solemnize marriages
- The clerk treasurer's office also serves as the Human Resource office for the city of North Vernon and handles all employees insurance needs
Some common permits and fee:
Alarm Permit ...............................$ 10.00
Stage Rental................................$ 300.00 - 1,000.00
Street Cutting permits, whether you are connecting your driveway to one of our streets, cutting a street, or boring under a street all require either a $5000.00 surety bond or a refundable $1000.00 cash bond. Application for Street Cutting is required and must be brough into our office.
We do issue a solicitation permit, but we do not have an actual application.
Rules for solicitation:
- Must provide the city with a $500.00 Surety Bond
- Must wait 7 days AFTER the issuance of a permit to begin solicitation
- Must provide a copy of driver’s license and vehicle description for ALL solicitors
- Cost of the permit is $20.00/day, $50.00/week, or $200/month.
Most applications, permits and forms for our office can be found in our document center.
If you download our forms, please be sure to only fill out the areas you are responsbile for and bring into our office.
For approved budgets, annual financial reporting or other financial details for City of North Vernon please visit https://gateway.ifionline.org/
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm
Phone: 812.346.5907 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: 143 East Walnut Street, North Vernon, Indiana 47265