What are the Requirements for Joining the City of North Vernon Police Department as a Volunteer Policeman?
“Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.” — Muhammad Ali
If you have the time and the desire to serve your community, please consider submitting an application as a volunteer police office with the City of North Vernon Police Department when we are hiring for a position. We may have an opening for you!
If you are interested in seeking employment as an officer with the NVPD, you can download our employee interest form. If you feel you meet the requirements, or would like to apply for a non-officer position, download, print and complete the application. You can e-mail, mail in your interest form or bring it to the NVPD office, located at the address below.
*WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT HIRING OR ACCEPTING INTEREST FORMS AT THIS TIME *
The requirements for submitting an application for interest in volunteer membership within the Police Department include:
- Resident citizen of the United States
- Resident of Jennings County, or one of the six adjoinging counties at the time of appointemnt to the department
- Be at least 21 years of age and a high school graduate or possess a GED or equivalent
- Possess a valid Indiana Driver’s License
- Must not have tattoos or other intentional body markings below wrists or above shirt collar
- Cannot have a felony conviction
- Submit to successfully completing all phases of the hiring process
- Cannot have a misdemeanor conviction involving domestic violence
- Cannot have been dishonorably discharged from military
*Written permission is required from the employer if leaving work in order to respond to incidents. Availability varies by station.
The requirements for maintaining volunteer membership within the City of North Vernon Police Department include:
- Perform all written exams
- Attend a minimum of 40 hours of training bi-annually to achieve 80 hours of training annually.
- Abide by department policies at all times.
- Note: Being a policeman is a physically demanding job. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and physical fitness is strongly encouraged.
How can I get more Information about the City of North Vernon Police Department?
Contact the Administrative Offices at:
City of North Vernon Police Department
101 North Madison Avenue
North Vernon, Indiana
Or, E-mail the Chief of Police, and enter "Information Request" in the subject line. Please include a brief description of the information being requested along with your name, address, phone number, and email.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.