Understanding Your Bill
North Vernon Utilities Customers will receive monthly bills. Bills are due on or before the 15th of every month. Our office accepts ‘Promise to pay’ vouchers for customers who are unable to make the payment before turn-off. You must come into the office to fill out said vouchers by the 20th of the month.
Explanation of Charges
- Late Charges: A 10 percent penalty will be added to the current unpaid bill if payment is not received in full by the 15th of the month.
- Non-sufficient fund charges (NSF): A $32.50 NSF charge will be issued should the customer have a check that is returned or ACH payment that is not honored by their bank. If you have not made good on your account within 10 business day of NFS your services will be disconnected until account is made in full.
- Non-Payment Fee: A $50 non-payment fee will be applied to your account if your payment is not made in full by closing of ‘non-payment day’. This day will be noted in your monthly newsletter and on the top of your bill, unfortunately this day may change due to how the days fall in the month.
- Turn off day: If your services are disconnected, you will need to pay the non-payment fee plus your total bill before your services can be reconnected. Prior to water being turned back on, it is the responsibility of the customer to ensure faucets have been turned to the off position. The North Vernon Municipal Utilities is not responsible for any damages or water consumption.
- Water service turn-on/turn-off fee: A $50 service fee will be applied to your account if you need your water turned back on by a North Vernon Municipal Utilities employee, that is a non-emergency on the weekend or after hours. In the event of an emergency, we will turn off the water at no charge on weekends and after hours.
Please include the remittance portion of the bill with your payment. Include your account number on your check made payable to The North Vernon Municipal Utilities. Allow at least 3-5 business days for mail delivery and processing. Payment is not considered made until it has been received by The North Vernon Municipal Utilities office. We are not responsible for the U.S. Postal Services. Failure to receive a bill does not relieve you of penalties for late payment. Payment is due upon receipt. If the balance is not paid in full by the due date, a penalty will be added
You may also choose the following payment options:
- In-person or by phone: 812-346-4691 (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday) at, The North Vernon Municipal Utilities office, 143 E. Walnut Street, North Vernon, In 47265 with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover
- In the payment night drop box located in the alley between the mayor’s office and Napa. We also have a after hours payment slot in the front door. These payments will be collected at 4pm each business day, if your payment is dropped in the box after 4pm it will be posted the following business day.
- Online via City of North Vernon website via ONLINE BILL PAY with Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover (no additional fees charged)
- Sign up for the ACH Program from a checking account by completing the direct debit agreement form that you will fill out in the office with a blank voided check . The amount due will be deducted from your account on the 12th of the billing month.